L1 Capital Long Short FundAustralia’s best performing long short fund (since inception in 2014)^
(since inception in 2014)^
An absolute return fund that offers investors a highly diversified portfolio of long and short positions based on rigorous, fundamental research process
• Range 1-5%
• Typical size 3%
• Exceptional risk/reward >5%
• Range 1-3%
• Typical size 2%
• Exceptional risk/reward >3%
ACN 125 378 145
AFSL 314 302
The L1 Capital Long Short Strategy has three enduring advantages:
- Market exposure: Ability and willingness to adjust the portfolio net long to reflect the risk/reward of the market.
- Shorting: Portfolio is able to profit from falling share prices (as well as rising).
- International exposure: Able to exploit research insights offshore, not just domestically, broadening the opportunity set beyond the Australian market.
Together, these three levers, which the Investment Team uses actively and with conviction, are tools for generating returns from all of the team’s investment and market insights.
The L1 Capital Long Short Fund’s competitive edge comes from:
- L1’s investment process that combines valuation with qualitative considerations to identify attractive investment opportunities. The approach’s strict valuation criteria tends to produce a slight value and contrarian bias. At the core of the bottom-up, fundamental, research-driven approach is the team conducting several thousand company meetings each year.
- Extensive network of contacts throughout corporate Australia and overseas that provides a more complete and up-to-date perspective on industry trends, inflection points, risks, etc. Many fund managers purely meet with company management and sell-side analysts, which the Australian Equities team believe provides a biased and narrow perspective on a company/industry.
- Contrarian approach which has generated alpha from buying cyclical stocks at a low point in their cycle (and shorting at a high point) and overcoming behavioural biases that tend to promote momentum investing.
Net performance as at **DATE** for the Daily Class. Inception Date 3 October 2016. Data prior to that date relates to the Monthly Class which has a different fee structure, inception date 1 September 2014. Past performance should not be taken as an indicator of future performance.
How to Invest
There are currently four ways to invest in the L1 Capital Long Short Fund
L1 Long Short Fund Limited (ASX:LSF)Listed Investment Company (LIC) listed on the ASX
L1 Capital Long Short Fund - Daily ClassUnlisted Managed Fund with daily liquidity
L1 Capital Long Short Fund - Monthly ClassUnlisted Managed Fund with monthly liquidity
L1 Capital Long Short (Offshore Feeder) FundCayman Master Feeder Fund denominated in USD
You can also contact us for further assistance.
^ Ranking in FE Analytics Australian Shares universe as at 31 December 2023.
* Net performance as at **DATE** for L1 Capital Long Short Fund – Monthly Class, inception date 1 September 2014. Past performance should not be taken as an indicator of future performance.
** Relates to the L1 Capital Long short Fund – Monthly Class, inception date 1 September 2014.
Information contained on this page
The opinions, advice, recommendations and other information contained on this page, whether express or implied, are published or made by L1 Capital Pty Ltd (ABN 21 125 378 145), Australian Financial Services Licence (314302), and by its officers and employees (collectively “L1 Capital”) in good faith in relation to the facts known to it at the time of preparation. L1 Capital has prepared this publication without consideration of the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any individual investor, and you should not rely on the opinions, advice, recommendations and other information contained in this publication alone. This publication contains general financial product advice only. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.
Disclaimer and limitation of liability
To the maximum extent permitted by law, L1 Capital will not be liable in any way for any loss or damage suffered by you through use or reliance on this information. L1 Capital’s liability for negligence, breach of contract or contravention of any law, which cannot be lawfully excluded, is limited, at L1 Capital’s option and to the maximum extent permitted by law, to resupplying this information or any part of it to you, or to paying for the resupply of this information or any part of it to you.
Copyright in this publication is owned by L1 Capital. You may use this information in this publication for your own personal use, but you must not (without L1 Capital’s consent) alter, reproduce or distribute any part of this publication, transmit it to any other person or incorporate the information into any other document.